Use this service to:
- choose if your confidential patient information is used for research and planning
- change or check your current choice
Your choice will be applied by:
- NHS Digital and Public Health England
- all other health and care organisations by 30 September 2021 (delayed from March 2020 to allow organisations to focus on the COVID-19 outbreak). Read more about the extension to the compliance deadline for national data opt-out.
Any choice you make will not impact your individual care.
Before you start
- be aged 13 or older
- have access to your email or mobile phone
- have your NHS number or your postcode registered with your GP surgery
Where can I find my NHS number?
An NHS number is a 10 digit number, like 485 777 3456.
You can find your NHS number by logging in to a GP online service or on any document sent to you by the NHS, such as your:
- test results
- hospital referral letters
- appointment letters
Ask your GP surgery for help if you cannot find your NHS number.
Other ways to make a choice
You can also make or change a choice for:
- yourself by phone, email or post
- someone else by email or post
Page last reviewed: 10 July 2019
Next review due: 10 July 2022