Skip to main content

Mental health support for serving personnel and reservists

Find mental health information and support for serving personnel, reservists and families.

Mental health problems are common and can affect anyone, including serving personnel, reservists and their families. It is important to get help and support if you or someone you know has mental health problems.

NHS mental health advice and urgent help

If you need support for a specific mental health condition, you can find information through our A-Z of mental health conditions.

If you want help from a charity, you can:

Basic mental health support

As a serving person or reservist, you will have access to mental health support no matter where you are based.

There are many people you can talk to, including:

  • Defence Medical Services (DMS) medical officers and GPs
  • welfare officers
  • your chain of command
  • Trauma Risk Management (TRiM) practitioners
  • chaplains

They can talk to you about your mental health and help you get further support if you feel you need it.

Combat Stress

If you need to talk to somebody, Combat Stress have a dedicated mental health support helpline for serving personnel and their families.

This provides confidential advice and support and is free to call for serving personnel, family members and carers.

This helpline is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year on 0800 323 4444.


Togetherall is a mental health support service that provides:

  • anonymous, round-the-clock online support with trained counsellors
  • a supportive community, including forums for safe conversation
  • free resources to help you improve your mental health

All armed forces serving personnel, reservists, veterans and their families can access these services at any time.


HeadFit for Life is a mental fitness tool designed specifically for the armed forces community.

It provides access to self-help tools that can improve your mood, drive and confidence and help to manage the stress of everyday life.

Specialist mental health services

All serving personnel and mobilised reservists can get mental health treatment and care from military mental health professionals no matter where you are based.

If you need them, your DMS GP may refer you to specialist mental health services. These services are all commissioned by the Ministry of Defence (MoD).

The priority of all specialist mental health services is to return you to your regular armed forces work as quickly and safely as possible.

Departments of Community Mental Health (DCMH)

Departments of Community Mental Health (DCMH) offer specialist outpatient mental health care in the UK. These are military centres dedicated to treating serving personnel with health problems.

Smaller DCMH centres are also available overseas.

Talk to your medical officer if you think you would benefit from attending a DCMH.

Inpatient specialist support

Specialist inpatient mental health care services for serving personnel are provided by several NHS trusts across the country.

Service personnel are assessed, stabilised and treated in hospitals as close to their home or parent unit as possible.

Page last reviewed: 18 August 2021
Next review due: 18 August 2024