Skip to main content

How can I see a GP if I'm away from home?

If you're away from home and need to see a GP, you can contact any GP surgery nearby.

Find a GP surgery near you

You can receive emergency treatment from a GP surgery for up to 14 days – for example, if you fall ill while on holiday.

If your treatment will last longer than that, you'll have to register as a temporary or permanent resident.

You can register as a temporary resident if you're in the area for longer than 24 hours but less than 3 months.

For more information, see How do I register as a temporary resident with a GP?

If you'll be in the area for longer than 3 months, you'll have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that practice.

Read more about registering with a GP surgery.

Alternative services

If you need medical advice or treatment but do not need to see a GP, there are some alternatives you can try instead.

For example:

  • NHS 111 can direct you to the best place if you think you need medical help right now – you can call 111 or use NHS 111 online
  • pharmacist can provide advice and treatment for minor conditions that do not need a prescription
  • minor injuries unit (MIU) provides treatment for less serious injuries, such as sprains, broken bones and wound infections
  • walk-in centre deals with minor illnesses and injuries, such as infections and rashes
  • sexual health clinic (GUM clinic) provides testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and contraception advice

These services do not require you to make an appointment or register as a patient.

Further information:

Page last reviewed: 14 December 2022
Next review due: 14 December 2025