Butternut squash & red pepper soup recipe
A lunch the whole family can enjoy together on colder days. A delicious blend of vegetables and lentils served with slices of wholemeal bread. Freeze the extra portions for handy future meals.
Age: 12 mths +
Serves: 4 portions
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Suitable for vegetarians? Y
- 220g butternut squash, peeled
- ½ large red pepper, deseeded (100g)
- ½ medium onion, peeled (75g)
- 2tsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp dried herbs
- 400ml water
- 50g dried red lentils
- Small slice wholemeal bread (1 portion) 25g
Try serving with some cooked vegetable sticks as a finger food such as broccoli, green beans or courgette.
- De-seed butternut squash and pepper and dice into small pieces. Dice the onion.
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the butternut squash, pepper and onion. Cook until starting to soften (5-6mins).
- Add the oregano, water and lentils. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 20-30 minutes until the veg is soft and the lentils are cooked. Add a little more water during cooking if needed.
- Set aside to cool a little before blending until smooth (or leave with a chunky texture if preferred). Then put ¼ of the soup into a bowl, and freeze the other three portions for other days.
- Toast the slice of bread and cut into toasted fingers to go on the side.