The Lawson Practice

1. Review titled Unhelpful reception.

by Maureen Walsh - Posted on 11 May 2022

This review is not about my experience but my son's. He rang the surgery to ask for a prescription as he was not aware that you could no longer have it sent directly to the chemist. He was told he must order on line. My son has mental health issues, and the indifferent way he was spoken to, unbelievable.He doesn't have access to a computer, let alone know how to use one. He was then told to come to surgery, when he explained that he couldn't as he has difficulty walking the receptionist told him that if 80 year olds can do it, so could he.I was furious. I rang the surgery myself, fortunately, I was lucky , I manage to speak to someone with some empathy. What makes these people think that everyone has access to a computer or indeed, be able to use one. I have been a patient with The Lawson Practice for years and have nothing but praise for the GP's but some of the new receptionist, I wouldn't give them the time of day,they are condescending and downright rude.

Visited May 2022

Report review titled Unhelpful reception. as unsuitable

Replied on 16 May 2022

I am really sorry your son had this experience and I agree it is not acceptable. I am surprised though as our receptionists all understand that the computer is not the solution for everyone, something we are very aware of. In order to keep the phone lines from getting even busier than they are, we do ask people not to telephone for prescriptions and have a range of options available to use instead of telephoning. We have discussed that fact many times as a team that not everyone can access or can use a computer or wants to use one and that people should not suffer because of that. We make arrangements for people who have difficulty ordering their prescriptions for good reasons and again, I am so sorry that this happened. If you wanted to let me know personally your son's name I can look in to this and see what we can do to prevent it happening again.

2. Review titled Failing to give appointments

by Customerunhappy - Posted on 21 April 2022

I received a text asking me to call to arrange appointment for asthma review. I called surgery and was given appointment. I was going on holiday the day after the appointment so told them it MUST be by this date. I also spoke to the same person who managed this appointment regarding my request to get travel inoculation advice and administration. I was told they would call me within 48 hrs to say what is required and offer an appointment if necessary. This didn't happen. I had a phone call this evening from someone who told me my asthma review has to be cancelled and I have to go through a slow process of triage regarding my travel details. There is little time left until I go which I had stated clearly, and I feel that this is putting my health at multiple significant risks.

Visited April 2022

Report review titled Failing to give appointments as unsuitable

Replied on 05 May 2022

Firstly apologies for very late reply, I was on leave. Thank you for letting us know that things didn't go well for you. It would be very helpful if you felt able to let me know who you are so that we can investigate. I'm not sure why nobody got back to you about your travel injections. We do have a system to ensure this happens so it is concerning and would be so helpful to be able to audit / track what happened to make sure it doesn't happen again. We always ask the nurse to telephone the patient first so that they can work out what is needed and arrange to do the injections at the correct time. It is also so frustrating when appointments are made and then have to be cancelled. Unfortunately we still have very high staff sickness rates mostly due to congoing covid infections and so we have had to cancel a number of appointments recently. It is very hard on patients but sadly we can only try to manage as best we can. I genuinely hope you had a good holiday and if you see this message please get in touch with me so that I can investigate further. Apologies from us all again.

3. Review titled Poor reception experience

by flyinhhorse249 - Posted on 14 February 2022

One of the receptionists I find to be one of the the most hostile and belligerent people I have ever come across. The Practice has some of the most amazing and very kind helpful receptionists one could ever wish for, When I have this particular receptionist on the phone, my heart sinks as I find them to be so rude and belligerent and to have a very bad habit of interrupting someone when they are speaking. I have witnessed this myself on a number of occasions when at the Practice, and felt very uneasy about the way they respond to patients. I recently rang the Lawson Practice to enquire about an email I sent two days previously, thanking my GP for their support with a medical complaint. In the email, I also mentioned that I would like my GP to prescribe a 2 month's supply of a medication which has been very helpful and improved my symptoms immensely as the 1 month medication supply I was issued with was finishing in a couple of days time. The receptionist I found to be very belligerent again when I asked whether my GP had received my email, and also whether the medication had been prescribed or not. In my view this receptionist has an attitude problem and I think they would be better of working somewhere else and not for the Lawson Practice which is one of the best Medical Practices in East London.

Visited February 2022

Report review titled Poor reception experience as unsuitable

Replied on 14 February 2022

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear this. It sounds like there a problem that needs to be put right. Are you able to speak to our manager about this so that we can investigate further and ensure that this member of staff receives some feedback and if needed, extra training so that we can improve things. We do want to make sure that everyone feels safe and comfortable and able to approach reception so please do contact us about this. With your help we can change this.

Provided by Care opinion

4. Review titled 1st visit - best ever!

by Liezel Contreras - Posted on 02 February 2022

I was invited by my doctor to come into the surgery after an initial telephone conversation. I have only recently joined the Lawson Practice. I was impressed by the courtesy of the staff in attendance and even more so by my doctor's warm courteous and professional approach. He listened to me and I felt that he was genuinely interested in my well being. it's comforting to know there are kind, caring doctors who give time to listen

Report review titled 1st visit - best ever! as unsuitable

Replied on 04 February 2022

Thank you so much for giving us this feedback. All positive comments are so wonderful for staff to receive. It is a stressful tricky job trying to give the best service we can all the time, especially over the last two years which have been so difficult for everyone. This is lovely feedback and will spur us on to continue to try and do the best we can. Thank you again.

5. Review titled Caring and professional service

by Grateful! - Posted on 03 February 2022

Today was my first visit to the Lawson Practice. I have of late been experiencing mental health issues and was daunted by the prospect of walking into a new surgery and meeting my new doctor. I need not have been so overwhelmed because I found the kindness and courtesy at the reception welcoming as well as the doctor who took his time to listen to my story and did not at any time rush me. I found his manner warm, not intimidating, as we discussed my issues and medication. He was caring and professional and I felt at ease. I felt he really cared about my well being. Thank you!

Visited February 2022

Report review titled Caring and professional service as unsuitable

Replied on 03 February 2022

Thank you so much for giving us this lovely feedback. It is a boost for all the staff and a real morale builder. We hope that we are able to continue to offer you the care that everyone deserves. We are always open to feedback and suggestions for ways to improve things. Thanks again.

6. Review titled Never available for consultation

by ophiuchuskz75 - Posted on 17 January 2022

I am consistently unable to get in contact with my GP to schedule an online consult. I phone several times a day and am left on hold. I try to book an appointment on the online system but there are never any available slots.

Visited January 2022

Report review titled Never available for consultation as unsuitable

Replied on 17 January 2022

Hi, I'm so sorry that you are struggling to get through. We have had real difficulties with sometimes over half our reception staff being off sick recently due to covid so this may be part of the problem. I'm concerned that you are never able to find on-line slots. I wonder if that is because some of the doctors have left recently and due to the lack of GPs at present we have been unable to give you a new doctor. If you wanted to email reception and ask them to contact me about this I can look in to it further for you. I do apologise that things are difficult at present. We have had a very difficult few weeks with so many staff, doctors as well as nurses being off. I am really hoping things will improve. I look forward to hearing from you via email as I say, so that I can follow this up.

7. Review titled Can never get an appointment

by Anonymous - Posted on 20 February 2022

Even before Covid its been difficult to get an appointment with a dr, any dr. All too frequently I give up even trying to get a phone consult with my dr. My issues are fairly complex and there's info 'lost in translation' when speaking to another dr. To be fair to the doctors they are very overworked and Covid hasn't helped. However, there's almost never any follow-through or follow up now so problems I've been bringing up for months don't progress, and in fact have become worse. Can't access on-line appt requests now at all which means trying to call for a consult or appointment which is next to useless. I've even gone to the practice trying that route and again that didn't work. Its very frustrating and discouraging especially since a few years ago it wasn't like this. Previously I would get a call after a referral to see if it had been successful or if something else was needed. If my blood work was out of balance I would get a call that day telling me to go to A&E for a 'top up' or to be aware of how it might affect me. There seems to be a faster change over in doctors as well than previously. Maybe that's the nature of the beast but its not working for the patients. The Lawson Practice used to be great, now its just frustrating and occasionally counterproductive.

Visited December 2021

Report review titled Can never get an appointment as unsuitable

Replied on 21 February 2022

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear how difficult things are for you. It sounds like your previous doctor here has left and we haven't managed to appoint another regular doctor for you. This does make life difficult as you rightly say as it means you can't book on line then. We are, like most GP practices, struggling to recruit. Hackney is incredibly expensive to buy somewhere to live and many of our much valued doctors have had to move away to cheaper accommodation leaving us quite short. We are doing a huge piece of work at the moment looking at our capacity and what people need and thinking about how we can make things better. It would be so helpful if you felt able to let us know who you are by asking to speak to Uzo, one of our managers so that we can learn from what has happened to you and think about how we can make the service work better in spite of having less doctors in the surgery. Hopefully we will hear from you. Thanks for this feedback, it adds more pressure to us to try and find some solution.

8. Review titled Great reception team

by aradd34 - Posted on 29 October 2021

Really helpful lady on the front desk, so helpful and kind. Her name is Asia and she helped me with my queries. Didn't rush me, was really informative and full of solutions! So sweet! Need more lovely ladies like her

Visited October 2021

Report review titled Great reception team as unsuitable

Replied on 29 October 2021

Thanks for posting this lovely feedback. Receptionists have a hard job sandwiched between the needs of patients and the busy doctors. They have a particularly hard time as they want to help patients and to make things easy but due to demand on services/doctors surgeries can't always do that so it is so nice to have such lovely feedback to give to a receptionist. Much appreciated and thanks again.

9. Review titled I'm very impressed

by Roger Clarke - Posted on 28 October 2021

I've been dealing with chronic illness for 45 years and I've seen a lot of doctors and been registered with a great many GP practices, and Lawson are amongst the best. Compassionate and caring doctors, desk staff and nurses dealing gracefully with the pandemic as they did before it. They should be proud of themselves

Visited October 2021

Report review titled I'm very impressed as unsuitable

Replied on 28 October 2021

Wow, that is a another real boost to staff morale, what lovely lovely feedback, thanks so much. This will lighten people's hearts, I know and we are so grateful to you for taking the time to let us know. Thanks again.

Provided by Care opinion

10. Review titled Lawson practice experience.

by ConorCougar - Posted on 10 September 2021

I found the staff I encountered to be unhelpful and rude. Very dismissive and seemingly didn't make any attempt to connect me to help that I needed. Doctors have very limited availability and from my experience the booking system is completely flawed is impossible to get consistent care via telephone or internet.

Visited September 2021

Report review titled Lawson practice experience. as unsuitable

Replied on 13 September 2021

Thank you for taking the time to share your story, we are sorry to hear that you did not find the service you received helpful. I would be happy to look into the interactions you had if you would like to contact me with your details. We are working hard behind the scenes to assist all of our patients, we have a number of different ways to book appointments now including by phone, online access and also eConsult. As always our management team are available on site if you wish to raise your concern with us in person so that we can look into the issue you raise. You say that you encountered a staff member who was rude and unhelpful which is not the service we strive to offer. I would like to be able to look into this situation with you further, if you feel able to please do get in touch.