Skip to main content

Where to get urgent help for mental health

If you need help for a mental health crisis or emergency, you should get immediate expert advice and assessment.

It's important to know that support services are available for you to access, whatever you’re going through.

Urgent advice: Get advice from 111 or ask for an urgent GP appointment if:

  • you need urgent help for your mental health

Get help from 111 online or call 111 and select the mental health option.

111 will tell you the right place to get help. You may be able to speak to a trained mental health professional over the phone.

A GP can advise you about helpful treatments and also help you access mental health services. You may be able to refer yourself to some services.

Other ways to get help with your mental health

Free listening services

These services offer confidential support from trained volunteers. You can talk about anything that's troubling you, no matter how difficult:

If you're under 19, you can also call 0800 1111 to talk to Childline. The number will not appear on your phone bill.

These services will only share your information if they are very worried about you or think you are in immediate danger.


Coping during a crisis

The mental health charity Mind has information on ways to help yourself cope during a crisis.

This includes calming exercises and a tool to get you through the next few hours.

Immediate action required: Call 999 or go to A&E now if:

  • someone's life is at risk – for example, they have seriously injured themselves or taken an overdose
  • you do not feel you can keep yourself or someone else safe

A mental health emergency should be taken as seriously as a physical one. You will not be wasting anyone's time.

Call: 999

How a mental health emergency is treated in A&E

If you go to A&E, the staff should treat you with respect and look after any immediate physical and mental health needs.

They should also refer you to a liaison psychiatry service or local crisis resolution and home treatment team (CRHT).

Find out about:

The team in charge of your care will assess you and decide on the best course of care.

This usually involves supporting you with your mental health at home. They may also refer you to other services to support your needs.


Making a safety plan

If you struggle with suicidal thoughts or are supporting someone else, it may help to make a safety plan to use if you need it:

Page last reviewed: 26 April 2023
Next review due: 26 April 2026