This fresh and fruity sauce is the perfect complement to chicken. Throw in some greens to count towards your 5 A Day and to add some colour .
- Serves: 2
- Time: 55 minutes
- 2 skinless chicken fillets, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 glass of low-salt stock
- ½ lemon, plus its juice
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- a pinch of dried dill
- a pinch of black pepper
The reference intake of an average adult is 8400kJ/2000kcal a day for a woman and 10,500kJ/2500kcal a day for a man.
- Gently fry the chicken in the oil until golden brown. Remove it from the pan and put it on a plate.
2. Put the mushrooms and onion in the pan, stir and add the stock. Add a pinch of dill and simmer over a low heat.
Grate the lemon zest into the pan, then add the parsley, lemon juice and black pepper. Cook until the sauce has reduced by half, then put the chicken back in the pan. Simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Serve with wholegrain rice and 160g steamed green vegetables, such as cabbage or green beans.
|Nutrient||Per 100g||Per 227g serving|
|(of which sugars)||0.6g||1.4g|
|(of which saturates)||0.9g||2g|
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start preparing food and after handling raw meat, including poultry
- keep raw meat away from ready-to-eat foods such as salad, fruit and bread
- make sure the chicken is cooked until it's steaming hot all the way through, there's no pink meat left and any juices run clear
Page last reviewed: 5 December 2017
Next review due: 5 December 2020