- 300g extra-lean minced beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 handfuls of cup or button mushrooms, sliced
- 410g red kidney beans, drained
- 150ml reduced-salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 300g easy-cook white or brown rice
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
Heat a large saucepan and add the minced beef, a handful at a time, cooking it until browned. Add the onion and garlic, then cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.Information:
Turkey mince also makes an excellent chilli – and it's lower in fat too. If you want to keep things vegetarian, substitute the minced beef with vegetarian mince, or try our tasty veggie chilli recipe.
Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, spices, red pepper, mushrooms, kidney beans and stock. Stir well, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to pack instructions.
Season the chilli with pepper and serve with the boiled rice.Information:
Chilli makes a really versatile topping or filling, and is also great for reheating leftovers. So instead of rice, try serving with baked potatoes, topped with a spoonful of low-fat plain yoghurt and some chopped cucumber and tomatoes – or in a wholewheat wrap.
Get the family involved and make tasty meals from scratch!
Every week for 4 weeks you will get 2 healthy recipes – with videos, easy-to-follow instructions and a shopping list – straight to your inbox.