- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 300g vegetarian mince
- 1 tin red kidney beans, in water (420g)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 200g rice (easy-cook long grain brown rice, if possible)
Swappable or optional
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 peppers, any colour, deseeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons tomato purée (optional)
- 100ml reduced-salt vegetable or chicken stock (optional)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper (optional)
If you don't have all the ingredients, you can still just use the basics for a great family meal.
Heat the vegetable oil oil in a large saucepan and add the onion. Fry gently for 2 to 3 minutes, then add the carrot, garlic, red chilli and peppers and fry for 2 to 3 more minutes, stirring often.
Add the frozen mince, beans, tomatoes, tomato purée and stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 25 to 30 minutes. At the same time, put the rice on to cook in plenty of gently boiling water – it will take 25 to 30 minutes.
Season the chilli with pepper, then serve in warm bowls with the cooked, drained rice.Information:
This works brilliantly served over a jacket potato. Leftovers also go great heated up and added to a wrap with a spoonful of plain low-fat yoghurt and a small grating of lower-fat cheddar.
Want the recipe for a healthier family? Join today and over 8 weeks you'll get easy tips from nutrition experts and parents, healthy swaps and tasty recipes on a budget.