Skip to main content

Where to get autism support

Friends and family

Telling people close to you about your or your child's autism diagnosis can help them understand how to support you.

They may be able to help with:

  • everyday things so you have more time to focus on yourself or your child
  • emotional support

National charities

National Autistic Society

For autistic adults and children, and their families.

Ambitious about Autism

For autistic children and young people, their parents and carers.

Local support groups

The assessment team that diagnosed you or your child should give you information on local support groups.

You can also search for local groups using the National Autistic Society services directory.

Social media and forums

There are many people with experience of autism offering support and sharing their stories on forums and social media.

You do not have to talk to others in online groups, but it can be helpful to look at what they're saying.

A good place to start is the groups run by autism charities. But bear in mind the NHS does not monitor these sites.


Comments on social media and forums are often based on personal experience and should not be taken as advice that would help you or your child.


How to use Facebook if you're new to it.


How to use Twitter if you're new to it.

Forums and communities

Your school, college or workplace

You can get support to make things easier for you or your child.

Find out what help is available at:

  • nursery or school – speak to teachers or a special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO)
  • college or university – speak to student support services
  • work – speak to your manager and human resources (HR)

Your local council

You can get some support and financial benefits from your local council.

What's available depends on your situation.

For children and young people

For people under 25, ask your council about their "local offer".

This is the name for the support they provide for young people with special educational needs.

Every council has to have a local offer.

You can also get advice about the local offer from your local special educational needs advice service. Find your nearest information, advice and support (IAS) service on the Council for Disabled Children website

For adults

If you're an autistic adult or care for an autistic adult, ask your council for a needs assessment.

This is an assessment to find out:

  • what problems you're having with everyday life
  • what support or financial benefits you might be able to get

For parents and carers

If you look after someone who's autistic, ask your council for a carer's assessment.

This is an assessment to find out what support or financial benefits you might be able to get to help you care for an autistic person.

GPs and autism assessment teams

If you think you or your child needs help from a health professional, speak to a GP or the assessment team that diagnosed you.

They may be able to refer you to a specialist who can help, such as:

  • an occupational therapist
  • a speech and language therapist
  • a mental health specialist

Page last reviewed: 26 October 2022
Next review due: 26 October 2025