Replacing a lost or stolen EHIC

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March 2019, your access to healthcare when visiting an EU country is likely to change. If you are planning to visit on or after 29 March, you should continue to buy travel insurance so you can get the healthcare treatment you need, just as you would if visiting a non-EU country.

If you are using an EHIC issued by the UK, this will still be valid until 29 March 2019.

It depends if you're in the UK or abroad when you need to replace your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). There's no charge for replacing a lost or stolen EHIC.

Replacing your EHIC from the UK

If you need to replace your EHIC while you're in the UK, call 0300 330 1350. You can also apply online or email

If you prefer, you can write to:

EHIC Enquiries
PO Box 1114
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE99 2TL

Provide your full name, UK address, date of birth and, if known, your EHIC Personal Identification Number (PIN).

Replacing your EHIC while abroad

If you're in a European Economic Area country or Switzerland and need medical attention but your card was lost or stolen, you'll have to apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC).

Someone else can also do this on your behalf. This will give you the same cover as an EHIC until you return home.

Phone Overseas Healthcare Services on +44 191 218 1999, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm. If you need to request a PRC outside these hours, call as soon as you can the next working day.

When calling for a PRC, you'll need to provide your:

  • National Insurance number
  • name 
  • address
  • date of birth
  • NHS number, if possible
  • the email address or fax number for the specific department of the hospital or service where you're receiving treatment

Further information

Page last reviewed: 21/05/2018
Next review due: 21/05/2021