What do I do if I lose my EHIC or it gets stolen?

It depends if you're in the UK or already abroad when you need to replace your EHIC (European Health Insurance Card).

Replacing your EHIC from the UK

If you need to replace your EHIC while you're in the UK, call 0300 330 1350. You can also apply online or email nhsbsa.ehicenquiries@nhsbsa.nhs.uk.

If you prefer, you can write to:

EHIC Enquiries,
PO Box 1114,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE99 2TL

Provide your full name, UK address, date of birth and, if known, your EHIC Personal Identification Number (PIN).

Replacing your EHIC while abroad

If you are in a European Economic Area country or Switzerland and need medical attention but your card was lost or stolen, you will have to apply for a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC). Someone else can also do this on your behalf. This will give you the same cover as an EHIC until you return home.

Simply phone the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 (0)191 218 1999, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm. If you need to request a PRC outside these hours, call as soon you can on the next working day.

When calling for a PRC, you'll need to provide your:

  • National Insurance number
  • name 
  • address
  • date of birth
  • NHS number, if possible
  • the email address or fax number for the specific department of the hospital or service where you are receiving treatment

Healthcare while travelling abroad

For information about access to healthcare abroad, see:

Read the answers to more questions about travel health.

Further information:

Page last reviewed: 17/06/2015

Next review due: 17/06/2018