How do I complain about my dental treatment?

Complaining about NHS dental treatment

If you wish to make a complaint about the care or service provided by your dentist or dental surgery, it's worthwhile discussing your concerns either with the dentist or another member of staff first to see if the issue can be resolved quickly. You can complain in writing, by email, or by speaking to someone.

Complaints must be made within 12 months of treatment. This applies to both NHS and private dentists.

Further information and support for making a complaint is available from:

Failing these options, you may wish to contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman on 0345 015 4033.

Complaining about private dental treatment

If you wish to make a complaint about private dental services, contact the person responsible for the practice complaints procedure. Your dentist will try to resolve your complaint.

If you're not happy with the way your dental practice deals with your complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction, contact the Dental Complaints Service.

This service is funded by the General Dental Council, which sets out standards of conduct and regulates all dental professionals in the UK.

You can call the Dental Complaints Service on 020 8253 0800 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm), or fill out the complaint form on its website.

Read the answers to more questions about dental health.

Further information:

Page last reviewed: 04/03/2015

Next review due: 28/02/2018