Skip to main content

What if my NHS dental treatment goes wrong?

If you have had restorative treatment on the NHS, and something goes wrong, requiring repair or retreatment, within 12 months of the original treatment, then your dentist should do the necessary work free of charge.

Restorative treatment includes fillings, root fillings, inlays, porcelain veneers and crowns.

This will not normally apply if:

  • within the 12-month period another dentist has done any treatment on the same tooth that has been restored, or
  • the patient was advised at the time of the restoration that it was temporary, or a different restoration was more appropriate, but the patient insisted on a different form of restoration, or
  • the repair or restoration is a result of trauma

Making a complaint

If you're unhappy with your NHS dental work, you can make a complaint. For more information, see How do I make a complaint about my dental treatment?

Page last reviewed: 16 March 2020
Next review due: 16 March 2023