Skip to main content

Children and young people's mental health services (CYPMHS) information for parents and carers

If you're worried about a child or need advice and support for coping with anything affecting your child's emotional or mental health, there are different ways to seek help.

Find advice and support on the NHS website

You can look up services that provide mental health support for young people on the NHS website.

For more general advice, see our mental health hub, which includes advice about:

Other sources of support

Lots of general advice and support can also be found online.


YoungMinds offers free confidential online and telephone support to anyone worried about the emotional and mental wellbeing of a child or young person up to the age of 25.

  • call the free parents' helpine on 0808 802 5544 from 9.30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday
  • email and YoungMinds will respond to your query within 3 working days

The charity also has information for parents and carers about mental health.


MindEd is an online e-portal offering free, simple advice to help adults identify, understand and support children and young people with mental health issues.

Although it's aimed at professionals, parents and carers may also find the information helpful.

Royal College of Psychiatrists

You can also find out more by exploring the Royal College of Psychiatrists' leaflets for parents and young people.

These include mental health information tailored for young people, parents, teachers and carers.

When to seek professional help

There's a difference between feeling a bit low from time to time and a serious emotional health problem.

If your child is feeling unhappy and low for a prolonged period of time, it's time to seek more professional help.

Any professional working with children and young people should know what to do.

For example, if you approach a teacher for help with bullying, the teacher might deal with the problem with the help of a school counsellor or welfare worker.

If the problem is more complex, the professional you initially approached may suggest getting help from colleagues with more specialist training.

A GP might refer a parent of a child with behaviour problems to a local parenting programme, or a young person who's depressed might be referred to specialist children and young people's mental health services (CYPMHS).

You should contact your local support services immediately if you're aware of a child or young person at serious risk of harm.

Page last reviewed: 3 April 2019
Next review due: 3 April 2022