This take on a classic Mediterranean dish is economical, tasty, a good source of protein and packed full of vegetables to help you get your 5 A Day.
- serves: 2
- time: 30 minutes
- 225g lean beef, cut into strips
- 200g dry wholewheat pasta
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 225g can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- dried mixed herbs
In a saucepan or wok, fry the meat and garlic for 4 to 5 minutes, until browned. You shouldn't need any oil.
Add the pepper, courgette and mushrooms, and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, ketchup and herbs, and season to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain it and stir into the sauce.
|Nutrient||Per 100g||Per 527g serving|
|(of which sugars)||1.6g||8.6g|
|(of which saturates)||0.9g||4.7g|
Be aware that:
- this recipe contains wheat (gluten)
- tomato ketchup contains wheat (gluten) in the vinegar and may sometimes contain celery
- ready-made sauces can contain a variety of allergens, so always check the label
- some pasta contains egg
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start preparing food and after handling raw meat
- keep raw meat away from ready-to-eat foods such as salad, fruit and bread
Page last reviewed: 1 December 2017
Next review due: 1 December 2020