Easy Italian chicken
This quick and healthy version of an Italian favourite is low in salt and fat.
- serves: 2
- time: 50 minutes
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- ½ tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 2 tsp worcester sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 220g dry wholewheat pasta
- fresh basil, to garnish
The reference intake of an average adult is 8,400kJ/2,000kcal a day for a woman and 10,500kJ/2,500kcal a day for a man.
Preheat the oven to 180C or gas mark 4.
Gently fry the onions in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.
3. Put the onions, mushrooms and all other ingredients (apart from the pasta) into an ovenproof dish and mix thoroughly. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
Serve the chicken with the pasta, and garnish with fresh basil.
|Nutrient||Per 100g||Per 823g serving|
|(of which sugars)||2.3g||18.8g|
|(of which saturates)||0.4g||3.6g|
These figures apply to a portion served with 220g of cooked pasta.
Be aware that:
- this recipe contains wheat (gluten)
- worcester sauce may contain barley (gluten) and fish
- some pasta contains egg, so always check the label
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start preparing food and after handling raw meat, including poultry
- use separate chopping boards, knives and plates for preparing raw meat
- keep raw meat away from ready-to-eat foods such as salad, fruit and bread
- make sure the chicken is cooked until it's steaming hot all the way through, there's no pink meat left and any juices run clear
- wash or peel raw vegetables before use – this will help clean them and remove any harmful bacteria that might be on the outside
Page last reviewed: 5 December 2017
Next review due: 5 December 2020