A spicy delight served with rice and relish to satisfy even the most demanding curry fan. This recipe is a good source of protein and carbs, and low in salt and fat.
- Serves: 2
- Time: 55 minutes
- 200g stewing beef or beef-style soya pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 pepper, finely chopped
- 1 carrot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 130g brown basmati rice, uncooked
Chop the beef into 2cm cubes.
Brown the beef in a pan over a low heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the chopped pepper, carrot and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often to stop it from sticking. Add a little water if necessary.
Add the curry powder and stir well to mix.
Add tomatoes, mango chutney and tomato purée. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
Cook rice according to the packet instructions and serve.
|Nutrient||Per 100g||Per 581g serving|
|(of which sugars)||3.1g||18.2g|
|(of which saturates)||0.5g||2.9g|
This recipe may contain soya.
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start preparing food and after handling raw meat
- keep raw meat away from ready-to-eat foods such as salad, fruit and bread
- any leftovers should be cooled within 2 hours and frozen, or placed in the fridge for up to 2 days
- when reheating, always make sure the dish is steaming hot all the way through before serving
- never reheat food more than once
- leftover rice should be cooled and refrigerated within 1 hour and used within 24 hours
Page last reviewed: 6 March 2018
Next review due: 6 March 2021