- 15g lower-fat spread
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 250g potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into small chunks
- 600ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 100g sweetcorn (fresh or tinned)
- 100g cooked chicken, chopped
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 tablespoons cornflour, mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 4 wholemeal rolls (optional)
Melt the spread in a large saucepan and gently cook the onion for 2 to 3 minutes, until starting to soften.
Add the potatoes and stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer, part-covered, for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Add the sweetcorn (drained if tinned), milk and chicken, and cook gently for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring often.Information:
To ring the changes, next time use a leek instead of the onion, and frozen peas instead of sweetcorn. You could also try chopped cooked turkey instead of chicken – or if you like seafood, cooked peeled prawns (defrosted if frozen).
Add the cornflour mixture and stir until thickened. Add the parsley (if using) and cook for another few moments. Ladle into bowls and serve with the rolls, if having.
Get the family involved and make tasty meals from scratch!
Every week for 4 weeks you will get 2 healthy recipes – with videos, easy-to-follow instructions and a shopping list – straight to your inbox.