Hearty vegetable and lentil soup recipe
Homemade soups – like this hearty veg and lentil dish – are quick, easy and delicious!
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Per serving (1/4 recipe)
- 615 kJ / 146kcal
- 6.5g protein
- 1.4g fat, of which 0.4g saturates
- 23.5g carbohydrate, of which 15.2g sugars
- 7g fibre
- 0.5g salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 900ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 50g dried red lentils
- quarter teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 4 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh chives (optional)
- 4 wholemeal bread rolls (optional)
Put the carrots, onion, red pepper, lentils and ginger (if using) into a large saucepan. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes, until the vegetables and lentils are tender.Information:
To make the soup even more economical, use 500g of carrots and leave out the red pepper. In general, soup is a great way to use up any old or leftover veg, like potatoes, tomatoes, sweet potato or butternut squash.
Blend the soup using a hand-held stick blender, or a liquidiser or food processor if you have one. Season to taste with pepper.
Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and swirl the yoghurt on top. Garnish with some extra black pepper and chopped chives (if using), and serve with wholemeal rolls, if you like.Information:
Cool the soup and store in a covered container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.