Your guide to care and support

After a carer's assessment: getting support

Once you've had a carer's assessment, your council will contact you about its decision.

If you have "eligible" needs, your council will talk to you about what help might be available. This will be based on the information you gave them during your assessment.

If you do not have needs eligible for support, your council will give you information and advice about what alternative support is available locally. This could include help from a local voluntary organisation, for example.

Eligibility for support

Councils have a legal duty to meet a carer's needs for support. You'll be entitled to support if:

  • you're assessed as having needs that meet the eligibility criteria
  • the person you care for lives in the council's area

Your support care plan

After your carer's assessment, you will receive a written care plan identifying your needs and any information, support or services that could be provided, such as breaks from caring.

Your local council's social services department should liaise with other authorities, such as housing or a health organisation, if relevant for you.

Your care and support plan should include details of what should happen if your situation gets worse. But if your situation does change, contact social services and ask to be reassessed.

Personal budgets and direct payments

As part of your support care plan, you'll receive a personal budget. This is a statement showing the cost of meeting your needs. You can choose to receive this budget in the form of direct payments.

Means-testing and fees for carer support

In most cases, councils do not charge for providing support to carers because of the valuable contribution they make. However, this is something the individual council can decide.

If it decides to charge you for support, it must carry out a financial assessment to see whether you can afford to pay. You will only be charged for services provided to you, not for services for the person you're looking after.

Read more about paying for services.

Page last reviewed: 29/03/2018
Next review due: 29/03/2021