Use this service if you need a note for your employer or the Department for Work and Pensions for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).
Check the latest guidance for people at high risk from coronavirus (clinically extremely vulnerable) on GOV.UK before using this shielding note service.
If you’re at high risk from coronavirus and live in a tier 4 area, you’ll be sent a letter about what to do while tier 4 restrictions are in place. You might also be sent an email.
If you have this letter or email you do not need a shielding note, as it can be used to claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).
Who this service is for
You can only use this service if all of these apply:
- you're at high risk from coronavirus (clinically extremely vulnerable) – you received a letter saying you’re high risk
- you work in an area in tier 4, but live outside this area
- you cannot work from home
- you live in England
You do not need to use this service if:
- you do not work in a tier 4 area
- you can work from home
- you can work in an area where there’s no shielding advice in place
If you are not sure if this service is for you speak to your GP surgery, your employer or visit GOV.UK to find out which areas have local restrictions.
Your letter or email as evidence
You can use your letter or email as evidence for:
- your employer – to show that you should not work outside your home and to claim Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
- the Department for Work and Pensions – to show you’re advised to follow shielding guidance for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
Before you start
We will ask for your date of birth.
You will also need to know your NHS number – this is a 10 digit number you can find on any letter the NHS has sent you, for example, 485 777 3456.
We will check to see if you’re on the shielded patients list. If you are, we will send you a shielding note.
We will send your note by email to the address you used to register with your GP surgery
If we do not have an email address for you, we will send you a letter in the post – this should take 3 working days.
This note will be valid for 3 weeks from the date you enter.
You can use this service for someone else.Start now
Employers can check a shielding note is valid by using the Check a shielding note service.