Use this service if you need a note for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).
Who can use this service
You can only use this service if all of these apply:
- you're at high risk from coronavirus (clinically extremely vulnerable) – you received a letter saying you’re at high risk
- you work in an area where the local COVID alert level is very high and you're advised to shield
- you cannot work from home
- you live in England
You do not need to use this service if:
- you work in an area where the local COVID alert level is very high, but you're not advised to shield
- you can work from home
- you can work in an area where you're not advised to shield
This service is currently paused
You cannot use this service for SSP at this time.
If you are at high risk from coronavirus, you will have been sent a letter with advice about what to do while new restrictions are in place in England from 5 November.
You can use your letter as evidence for:
- your employer – to show you should not work outside your home until 2 December, including for SSP
- the Department for Work and Pensions – to show you are advised to follow shielding guidance for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or Universal Credit
Employers can still check a shielding note is valid for an employee for notes issued from 1 August 2020 to 4 October 2020 using the check a shielding note service.