Use this service if you need a note for your employer, or the Department for Work and Pensions, for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).
Check the latest guidance for people at high risk from coronavirus (clinically extremely vulnerable) on GOV.UK before using this shielding note service.
You should only use this service if either:
- you’re at high risk from coronavirus and work in an area with a very high local COVID alert level where shielding advice is also in place
- you worked in an area where shielding advice was previously in place from 1 August 2020 to 4 October 2020 and need a shielding note for these dates for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)
Who this service is for
You can only use this service if all of these apply:
- you're at high risk from coronavirus (clinically extremely vulnerable) – you received a letter saying you’re high risk
- you work in an area where shielding advice is in place, but live outside this area
- you cannot work from home
- you live in England
You do not need to use this service if:
- there’s no shielding advice in place in the area where you work
- you live and work in an area where shielding advice is in place – you will get an email or letter telling you if you need to shield, which you can use for SSP or ESA
- you can work from home or in an area where there’s no shielding advice in place
If you are not sure if this service is for you speak to your GP surgery, your employer or visit GOV.UK to find out which areas have local restrictions.
Before you start
We will ask for your date of birth.
You will also need to know your NHS number – this is a 10 digit number you can find on any letter the NHS has sent you, for example, 485 777 3456.
We will check to see if you’re on the shielded patients list. If you are, we will send you a shielding note.
We will send your note by email to the address you used to register with your GP surgery
If we do not have an email address for you, we will send you a letter in the post – this should take 3 working days.
This note will be valid for 3 weeks from the date you enter.
You can use this service for someone else.Start now
Employers can check a shielding note is valid by using the Check a shielding note service.