There are many reasons breasts can be painful. Breast pain by itself is unlikely to be a symptom of cancer.
Breast pain is usually linked to periods
Symptoms of breast pain caused by periods:
- dull, heavy or aching pain – from mild to very bad
- pain that begins up to 2 weeks before a period, gets worse and then goes away when the period ends
- usually (but not always) affects both breasts and sometimes pain spreads to the armpit
How to ease the pain yourself
- take paracetamol or ibuprofen, or rub painkilling gel on your breasts
- wear a properly fitted bra during the day and a soft bra to sleep in
There's little evidence that vitamin E tablets or evening primrose oil help with breast pain.
Breast pain not linked to periods
Sometimes breast pain is caused by:
- injuries or sprains to the neck, shoulder or back – these can also be felt as breast pain
- medicines like the contraceptive pill and some antidepressants – check the side effects in the packet's information leaflet
- conditions like mastitis or a breast abscess – these can cause breast pain along with other symptoms
- pregnancy – breast pain can be an early sign
Breast pain and the menopause
Hormone changes during the menopause can cause breast pain.
Once the menopause is over (you have had 12 months without a period) the pain should not return.
Non-urgent advice: See a GP about breast pain if:
Urgent advice: Get advice from 111 now if:
- there's a hard lump in your breast that does not move around
- you get nipple discharge, which may be streaked with blood
- 1 or both breasts change shape
- the skin on your breast is dimpled (like orange peel)
- you have a rash on or around the nipple, or the nipple has sunk into the breast
These can be signs of something more serious.
111 will tell you what to do. They can arrange a phone call from a nurse or doctor if you need one.
Other ways to get help
Get an urgent GP appointment
A GP may be able to treat you.
Ask your GP practice for an urgent appointment.
Page last reviewed: 28 June 2017
Next review due: 28 June 2020