- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 280g lean braising steak, cut into chunks
- 450ml reduced-salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 250g closed-cup mushrooms, halved
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 50g reduced-fat spread
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
To make the dumplings, sift the flour into a bowl and add the parsley and some black pepper. Add the reduced-fat spread to the flour, then rub in with your fingertips until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add just enough cold water (about 2 tbsp) to make a soft dough. Knead the dough lightly for a moment, then form into 12 small dumplings.
Add the dumplings to the stew, letting them sit on the surface. Cover and cook for another 25-30 minutes, until the dumplings are light and fluffy, then serve.