- 300g extra-lean minced beef
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 300g dried spaghetti
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, crushed or finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 3 handfuls mushrooms (cup or button), sliced
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 150ml reduced-salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
Nutritional analysis, per adult portion (¼ recipe)
- 1,803kJ / 431kcal
- 30g protein
- 70g carbohydrate, of which 15g sugars
- 6.5g fat, of which 2g saturates
- 6g fibre
- 140mg sodium, equivalent to 0.3g salt
Heat a large saucepan and add the minced beef, a handful at a time, cooking until browned. Add the onion and cook for another few minutes.
Add all the the remaining ingredients to the pan, apart from the spaghetti. Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes.
When the sauce has been cooking for 10 minutes, start to cook the spaghetti. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, add the pasta and bring back to the boil. Stir well and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender.
Season the bolognese sauce with pepper. Drain the spaghetti and serve with the sauce.