- 4 (or 300g) carrots, chopped
- 300g swede or turnip, cut into chunks
- 700g potatoes, cut into chunks
- 8 reduced-fat sausages
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 100ml reduced-salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 200ml cold water
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp cornflour blended with 1 tbsp of cold water
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
Nutritional analysis, per serving (1/4 recipe)
- 1,339kJ / 320kcal
- 21g protein
- 51g carbohydrate, of which 12g sugars
- 5g fat, of which 1g saturates
- 7g fibre
- 325mg sodium, equivalent to 0.8g salt
Meanwhile, preheat the grill. Arrange the sausages on the grill rack and start to cook them when the vegetables have been cooking for 10 minutes. Grill them for 10 to 12 minutes, turning often.
At the same time, start to make the red onion gravy. Heat the vegetable oil oil in a large non-stick frying pan and add the onion, cooking until soft and lightly browned – about 3 to 4 minutes.
Pour in the stock and water, add the herbs, then simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the blended cornflour and stir until thickened. Keep hot over a low heat.
Drain and mash the vegetables, seasoning with black pepper. Serve 2 sausages per person with the red onion gravy.