- 400g tinned chickpeas in water, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- Wholemeal breadcrumbs (from 1 slice of bread)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- To serve:
- 4 large wholemeal pitta breads
- A few lettuce leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- ¼ cucumber, sliced
- 4 tbsp zero-fat Greek-style yoghurt
Nutritional analysis, per serving (1/4 recipe)
- 1564kJ / 371kcal
- 16.9g protein
- 56.5g carbohydrate, of which 7.6g sugars
- 6.3g fat, of which 0.9g saturates
- 10.3g fibre
- 0.4g sodium, equivalent to 0.9g salt
Place the onion and garlic in a food processor and chop finely.
Add the chickpeas, breadcrumbs, cumin, coriander, parsley and olive oil, and mix for a bit longer.
Shape into 16 balls and place on a greased or lined baking tray. Chill for 30 minutes.
Place tray into a preheated oven (200C/180C fan/gas mark 6) and bake for about 25 minutes, turning the falafel to prevent sticking.
To assemble, fill each pitta with lettuce, sliced tomatoes and cucumber, falafel and some yoghurt.