- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 150g onion, chopped
- 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick, or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 120g fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 600g skinless chicken thighs with bone, washed
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 reduced-salt seasoning cube, crumbled
- 100g carrots, grated
- 200g basmati rice, washed and drained
- 600ml water
Nutritional analysis, per adult portion (¼ recipe)
- 995kJ / 475kcal
- 48g protein
- 46g carbohydrate, of which 5.3g sugars
- 10g fat, of which 2.3g saturates
- 4.5g fibre
- 0.7g salt
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, and gently fry the onions and garlic on medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the cinnamon stick (or ground cinnamon), cumin seeds and chopped tomatoes, and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently.
Add the chicken, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander, crumbled seasoning cube and grated carrot. Mix well and cook on medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
Add 400ml water, cover the pot and leave to cook on medium heat for 15 minutes, until the chicken is nearly done.
Add the rice and stir until it's well coated by the mixture. Add in another 200ml of cold water, stir, then cover the pot and cook on medium-high heat until it starts bubbling (about 5 minutes or so). Once it's bubbling, reduce the heat to low and leave to steam until the rice grains are tender and fluffy – around 10 to 15 minutes.
Once ready, serve topped with fresh coriander (if you want) and accompanied by a fresh green salad. Enjoy!