Hip op: Norman's story 

Builder Norman Lane, 63, had a double hip replacement when his osteoarthritis got so painful he couldn't turn over in bed. He thought he'd never be able to run again, but now runs over 40 miles a week

Find out how to prepare for a hip replacement

Transcript of Hip op: Norman's story

My name's Norman Lane.

I'm a builder. 63 years old.

And I've had a double hip replacement eight years ago.

I've always played football.

I was very much a sporting person throughout my early years.

But when I got to 35, 40 years old, that sort of time,

I found that my hips became very stiff.

My joints were very painful.

I went to a surgeon, and found, devastatingly,

that I was suffering from arthritis in both hips.

The symptoms were

generally just sharp, shooting pains

down both legs, in the joints.

A lot of aching, especially on strenuous exercises.

I found that I couldn't really do the things at football that I wanted to,

and so I, subsequently, gave up football at the age of 41,

and took up running.

My surgeon kept a watch on things,

and when I was just coming up to 55 years old,

he decided that the time was right for me to have them replaced.

My biggest fear was I would feel that I was not a whole person.

It really was a fear to have big chunks of metal in me,

that I wouldn't just be myself.

The surgeon reassured me that it would be OK,

and I had the operation on the promise that he would do them both together,

if my body would stand up to it,

which he subsequently did, and very successfully.

The operation took a little bit longer than we thought.

It was just over eight hours, but it wasn't a problem.

It was all under control.

I came out of the operation. I have to say tremendous pain.

I expected that, but the next day they got me out of bed.

I didn't really want to. Because they got me out of bed,

I made them take me to the end of the bed and back,

just to say I'd made some progress.

But it was all systems go after that.

The next day, they showed me the physio room,

which was just outside our ward.

I was just a week in the hospital.

The nurses were great. No problems, no complaints.

I couldn't believe it.

It took me maybe 12 months to get fully over everything.

I felt a bit tender in places, but it was a gradual thing.

It did take a year.

I have a negative of the x-ray of my hip replacements,

and if anyone doubts me, or if I have a bad run,

I pick up my x-ray and I do stand up and look.

That's me.

I'm not a cripple, but that is me,

and those joints are absolutely brilliant.

I've always set goals all my life.

And then I started running again.

I had the idea of doing a run

to say thank you to the National Health.

So I set about raising �10,000,

on a run from John o'Groats to Land's End.

Mr McKinnon, again, gave me an x-ray before

to check that the hips were OK, there was no sign of wear.

We did the run. Did over 40 miles a day.

It was established as a world record, because no one had done it before,

which is a bit easier.

28 days. Finished it.

A lot of publicity for the arthritis cause.

We raised over �25,000.

Had the x-rays, again, a month or so after,

and Mr McKinnon, the surgeon, couldn't actually believe

that there was absolutely no sign of any wear or tear at all.

He said that it had changed his way of thinking.

So he now tells people to go out and exercise

and use their joints.


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 6 ratings

All ratings

4  ratings
0  ratings
0  ratings
0  ratings
2  ratings

Add your rating

NHS hospital services

Find out how NHS hospitals operate, whether services are free and how to choose and a hospital that best suits your needs

Having an operation

If your GP has suggested you may need surgery, this guide is for you