Carters Chemist can be traced back to 1879 when it was a small pharmacy situated beneath a dental surgery on the corner of MacKenzie Rd and Westbourne Rd. After many different owners it fell into the hands of John Carter, who the pharmacy was named after.
John Carter then sold the pharmacy in 1954 to Antoni Paulinski. In 1974 the original pharmacy was demolished and the pharmacy moved to its current location in Roman way. It is a family run business and has a reputation for its friendly staff and helpful service.