Chelsea and Westminster Hospital was built in just five years and opened in 1993, on the site once occupied by St Stephen's Hospital—bringing together staff, services and equipment from five London hospitals.
- Westminster Hospital: founded as a voluntary hospital in a small house in Petty France, Pimlico, with just 10 beds in 1719.
- Westminster Children’s Hospital: built in 1907 as The Infant’s Hospital. Originally in Vincent Square SW1, the hospital pioneered the treatment of malnutrition in infants.
- West London Hospital: opened in 1860 the hospital was known from the early 1970s for its women-centred maternity service.
- St Mary Abbots Hospital: an infirmary occupied the site of what had been the Kensington work house. The hospital was founded in the late 19th century.
- St Stephen's Hospital: a map of 1664 indicates, on this site, “The hospital in Little Chelsea”. Later there was a workhouse then an infirmary before St Stephen’s was founded in the late 1800s.
The hospital is modern and attractive, with displays of art from the present day to the sixteenth century.