End of life care

Coping financially

Money can be a worry if you or a family member need to take time off work due to illness or to care for someone. However, there is support available.

A hospital social worker or community social worker can assess your financial situation and give you advice on benefits. They can also tell you about any special funds you might qualify for. Ask your GP, hospital doctor or nurse to refer you.

There are also several charities that can provide support for free, such as Marie CurieSue Ryder or your local hospice. They can offer advice, counselling and practical help for people and their families who are living with illness. You may be able to apply for grants from charities, such as a Macmillan grant, or through the Turn2us grant search.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) can advise you about financial help, and assist you in filling in benefit forms.


You might want to check whether you are eligible for any of the benefits listed below (these links will take you to the GOV.UK website): 

Not everybody will be eligible for these benefits and, if you are eligible, claiming them might affect other benefits you receive. For example, getting a Carer’s Allowance can affect the benefits of the person you're caring for.

You can use the Turn2us benefits calculator to see which benefits you might qualify for.

If you or your partner, family or other carers want more information about where to find help and support on financial issues for people who are looking after someone who is ill, see Care and Support: money and legal.

Page last reviewed: 23/07/2014

Next review due: 28/07/2017

Services near you

NHS continuing healthcare

Find out about NHS continuing healthcare, what it covers and how to get the assessment you need to see if you are eligible