Health services you can access online
If you are registered with a GP surgery, you can access some health services online.
You may be able to:
- contact your GP for advice and support
- order repeat prescriptions
- see parts of your health record, including information about medicines, vaccinations and test results
- see communications between your GP surgery and other services, such as hospitals
- book, check or cancel appointments with a GP, nurse or other healthcare professional
You may not be able to book appointments online at the moment because of coronavirus (COVID-19).
If you can book an appointment, it is likely to be a phone or video appointment.
Read more about getting medical help from home.
How to use online health services
1. Find out which providers you can use
To find out what services are available online at your GP surgery and which providers you can use, check your GP surgery's website.
They should tell you if you can choose from more than one provider.
2. Choose a provider
If there is only one online health services provider you can use, visit their website or download their app.
If you can choose from more than one provider, visit the websites of the different providers to find out what they offer.
You may want to think about how you register when choosing a provider. Some providers let you register online.
Providers that let you register online
All online health service providers
3. Register to use online health services
To use online health services, you need to register and prove who you are. There are 2 ways to do this.
Prove who you are online
With some online health service providers, you can prove who you are online using NHS login.
To prove who you are you need to:
- Take a photo of your ID (passport, UK or EU driving licence, or European national identity card) using your phone.
- Record a short video of your face while you say 4 numbers, or use your camera to scan your face.
You can use your NHS login to register with more than one provider if you want to.
Use details from your GP surgery
For all online health service providers, you can also register using details from your GP surgery.
You'll need to:
- Prove who you are. You may be to do this over the phone. If not, they'll give you advice about what to do.
- Fill in the short registration form they send you.
- Log in using the registration details and instructions they send you.
You can use these details to register with more than one online health service provider.
These details can also be used to create an NHS login if you cannot prove who you are online.
Page last reviewed: 15 October 2019
Next review due: 15 October 2022