When you request a prescription online, you can have your prescription sent electronically to a pharmacy of your choice. This is called a nomination.
Once you nominate a pharmacy:
- you will no longer need to collect paper prescriptions from your GP surgery
- your nominated pharmacy will receive your prescriptions until you change or remove your nominated pharmacy
- any outstanding prescriptions you have ordered may still arrive at your current nominated pharmacy
You can nominate a high street pharmacy byusing the NHS App or logging in to the NHS website using a web browser. A high street pharmacy is where you collect your medicines in person. They may also deliver to your home.
If you do not nominate a pharmacy you can collect your medication using the prescription barcode in the NHS App from any pharmacy. Online-only pharmacies send your medicines in the post. To nominate an online-only pharmacy, you must register with the pharmacy through their website or contact them. It's not possible to nominate an online-only pharmacy using the NHS App or website.
Checking if you have a nominated pharmacy
- Log in using the NHS App or website.
- Go to Prescriptions.
- If you already have a nominated pharmacy, you'll see their name under Your nominated pharmacy. If not, you'll see the message "Choose a pharmacy for your prescriptions to be sent to".
Changing your nominated pharmacy
If you change your nominated pharmacy, any outstanding prescriptions you have requested may still arrive at your current nominated pharmacy.
- Log in using the NHS App or website
- Select View and manage prescriptions, then, Nominate a pharmacy
- If you already have a nominated pharmacy, you'll see the pharmacy's name. To change it, select Change your nominated pharmacy. If a pharmacy is not shown, select Continue
- Follow the instructions to nominate a pharmacy
Unable to view or change your nominated pharmacy
You may not be able to view or change your nominated pharmacy if:
- your prescription is dispensed by your GP surgery (your GP surgery gives you your medicines)
- you have more than one nominated pharmacy, for example, if you get your prescription items from two different medicine or medical equipment providers
Collecting or receiving your medicine
If you have a nominated pharmacy, you will be able to see when your prescription is ready to collect in the app.
Your pharmacy might ask to check your ID. We recommend that you bring photo ID when you collect your medicine.
If you have a nominated pharmacy, it can take up to 3 – 5 working days for the pharmacy to prepare your prescription. If you need your medicines urgently, please contact your nominated pharmacy.
If you do not have a nominated pharmacy, you can take your prescription barcode to any pharmacy of your choice and show the barcode to the pharmacist to receive your medication. You may have to wait whilst your prescription is prepared, and the pharmacy may need to order stock in to fulfil your prescription.
Removing a nominated pharmacy
You cannot remove your nominated pharmacy by using your NHS App . You will need to contact your GP surgery and ask them to remove your nominated pharmacy for you.