Packed with tomatoes, celery, carrots and beans, this soup offers a great way to include more vegetables in your diet and help achieve your 5 A Day. It's suitable for vegetarians, too.
- Serves: 6
- Time: 45 minutes
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 80g green beans
- 1½ tbsp tomato purée
- 1 leek, sliced
- 80g frozen peas
- 50g dried wholewheat pasta
- 1 litre boiling water
- pepper to taste
- 1½ tsp dried herbs
Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions, carrots, leeks and celery, and fry until sizzling. Lower the heat, cover and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally if needed.
Add the tin of tomatoes, water, tomato purée, green beans and frozen peas. Raise the heat to maximum. Bring to the boil and add the pasta, herbs and pepper.
Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the pasta's cooked, stirring frequently to make sure the pasta doesn't stick.
|Nutrient||Per 100g||Per 309g serving|
|(of which sugars)||1.6g||4.9g|
|(of which saturates)||0.1g||0.3g|
This recipe contains celery and wheat (gluten). The pasta may contain egg.
Food safety tips
- always wash your hands, work surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before you start preparing food
- if you're not going to eat all of the dish, the leftovers should be cooled within 1 to 2 hours and placed in the fridge (for up to 2 days) or frozen
- when reheating, always make sure the dish is steaming hot all the way through before serving
- never reheat food more than once
Page last reviewed: 6 March 2018
Next review due: 6 March 2021