Sweet and sour chicken recipe
The whole family will love this healthier spin on a takeaway classic!
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 1234kJ / 295kcals
- 21g protein
- 5g fat, of which 1g saturates
- 45g carbohydrate, of which 8g sugars
- 3g fibre
- 0.6g salt
- 150g easy-cook brown or white rice
- 227g pineapple pieces, in natural juice
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 300g skinless chicken breast or thigh, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pepper (any colour), deseeded and cut into chunks
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 pinch ground black pepper (optional)
Put the brown rice on to cook in plenty of boiling water for 30 minutes, or until tender.Information:
If using white rice, remember it only needs around 12 minutes, so start cooking it after step 2.
Meanwhile, drain the juice from the pineapple into a small bowl or jug, and cut the pineapple rings into chunks. Add the cornflour to the juice and stir until smooth, then mix in the tomato purée and soy sauce. Set aside.
When the rice is 10 minutes from being ready, heat the oil in a wok or very large frying pan. Add the chicken and stir-fry over a high heat for 3 to 4 minutes.Information:
Swap the chicken for turkey or lean pork if you fancy a change – ot try tofu for a vegetarian version.
Add the onion, pepper and celery to the pan. Stir-fry for another 3 to 4 minutes, then add the tomato wedges and pineapple chunks.
Give the pineapple juice mixture a quick stir, then add pan. Keep stirring until the sauce is hot and thickened. Season with the pepper, and serve with the drained rice.Information:
You can swap or add any extra veg you fancy to the stir-fry! Broccoli florets, red onion, courgette, sliced green beans and carrot strips all work well.