- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- half a teaspoon chilli powder or chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 850ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tin mixed beans
- 1 tin or 1 medium-sized cob of sweetcorn
- 1 tablespoon parsley or fresh coriander, chopped (optional)
- pinch of ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently cook the garlic and onion for about 3 minutes, until softened.
Add the chilli flakes or powder and the tomatoes, and cook for a couple of minutes.Information:
If you're not too keen on chilli, swap out the spice for 1 teaspoon of mixed dried herbs instead.
Pour in the stock and add the tomato purée, mixed beans and sweetcorn (drained if tinned, or sliced off the cob if fresh). Stir everything to mix well.
Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the coriander or parsley (if using) and season with some pepper. Ladle into warm bowls and serve at once with a wholemeal roll or slice of bread.Information:
When the weather's a bit cooler, this soup makes a perfect warming lunch. Pour into a wide-necked flask to take to school or work!
Get the family involved and make tasty meals from scratch!
Every week for 4 weeks you will get 2 healthy recipes – with videos, easy-to-follow instructions and a shopping list – straight to your inbox.