- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tin (420g) reduced-salt and reduced-sugar baked beans
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
- 16 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 medium slices wholemeal bread
- 4 teaspoons lower-fat spread
- freshly ground black pepper
Put the pepper and spring onions into a large saucepan with 3 tablespoons of water. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes over a low heat, until the water has evaporated.
Add the beans, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes to the saucepan. Heat gently for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often, until the beans are piping hot.Information:
If you don't have any spring onions, you can always use finely chopped onion.
Meanwhile, toast the bread, then spread each piece with the lower-fat spread. Pile the beans on to the toast and serve, sprinkled with black pepper.
Get the family involved and make tasty meals from scratch!
Every week for 4 weeks you will get 2 healthy recipes – with videos, easy-to-follow instructions and a shopping list – straight to your inbox.