- 4 fish steaks (unsalted)
- 0.5 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 0.5 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 4 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon powdered mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon onion seeds (kalonji)
- 470ml water
- 4 tablespoons mustard oil
To reduce the salt content of the dish, try swapping the salt for paprika or lemon juice.
Nutritional analysis, per adult portion (¼ recipe)
- 891kJ / 213kcal
- 38.3g protein
- 1g carbohydrate, of which 0.9g sugars
- 6.7g fat, of which 1.4g saturates
- 0.4g fibre
- 0.32g salt
Put the fish steaks in a bowl with the turmeric powder and a pinch of salt. Mix well and set aside for later.
In a blender or mixing bowl, blend the tomatoes, garlic, 3 green chilies, powdered mustard, pinch of salt and 120ml water to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons mustard oil in a pan. Add the kalonji seeds and let sizzle for about 10 seconds, then add the blended tomato mixture. Turn the heat down to low, and stir for 8 minutes or so.
Once the mixture has got a deeper, darker colour, add 350ml of water, stir well and bring to a boil. Once it's boiling, turn the heat back down to simmer on low for another 10 minutes.
Heat 2 tablespoons of mustard oil in a pan, and then fry the marinated fish steaks until golden brown on both sides. Add the fish to the tomato mixture and leave to simmer for 2 or 3 minutes.
Top with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.