- 1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 200g swede or turnip, diced
- 1 medium-sized potato, diced
- 400ml reduced-salt vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 600ml 1% fat milk
- 75g sweetcorn
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 4 wholemeal rolls, to serve
Nutritional analysis, per serving (1/4 recipe)
- 1,289kJ / 308kcal
- 13.5g protein
- 55g carbohydrate of which 18g sugars
- 6g fat of which 2.5g saturates
- 5.75g fibre
- 391mg sodium equivalent to 0.9g salt/n
Put the onion, leek, carrot, swede or turnip, potato and stock into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
Blend the cornflour to a smooth paste with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the milk. Add the remaining milk to the saucepan with the sweetcorn, then stir in the blended cornflour. Heat gently, stirring constantly, until the soup thickens and just begins to boil.
Season with black pepper and ladle into bowls. Serve each portion with a wholemeal roll.