- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon panch phoran (mixed Bengali spices)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 450g fresh okra, washed and halved
- 350ml water
Nutritional analysis, per adult portion (¼ recipe)
- 824kJ / 197kcal
- 6g protein
- 14.3g carbohydrate, of which 6.8g sugars
- 7g fat, of which 1.9g saturates
- 7.3g fibre
- 0g salt
Heat the vegetable oil in a pan, then add the panch phoran, bay leaves, chopped onion, garlic and ginger. Cook on low heat for 3 or 4 minutes, until the mixture starts to brown.
Add the chopped potato, cover and cook for 5 minutes until it starts to soften.
Add the okra and mix well. Add the water, stir and lower the heat. Leave the mixture to simmer uncovered for around 5 minutes, until the okra is softened.