- 2 tbsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon or wholegrain mustard
- 1/4 of a small red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium apple, cored and chopped
- 20g sultanas or raisins
- 50g reduced-fat hard cheese, cut into tiny chunks
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 4 wholemeal pitta breads
Add a seasonal twist
Beetroot is in season throughout the summer and autumn – simply peel off and throw away the hard outer layer, then grate the rest into the salad for some extra flavour.
Nutritional analysis, per serving (1/4 recipe)
- 1,291kJ / 306kcal
- 12g protein
- 49.6g carbohydrate of which 11.8g sugars
- 5g fat of which 2.1g saturates
- 7.4g fibre
- 480mg sodium equivalent to 1.2g salt
Whisk together the lemon juice or vinegar, olive oil, and mustard, then add all the remaining ingredients (apart from the pittas!) and toss together gently.
Warm the pittas in a toaster or under the grill. Split open and stuff with the salad. Serve at once, or wrap and keep cool until lunchtime.