Welcome to the Freeman Hospital
As part of the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, we deliver a wide range of advanced, patient-focused healthcare to patients from Newcastle, the North East and beyond. Our services range from hip and knee replacements and digital hearing aids, to the latest developments in treating complex liver, pancreatic, kidney and heart related diseases, as well as the treatment of all types of cancer.
In autumn 2011 the UK’s first Institute of Transplantation will be completed at the Freeman Hospital to provide the very best transplantation outcomes for patients. We already have an international reputation for our pioneering expertise in transplant surgery and carried out the UK's first successful baby heart transplant in 1987, as well both the first single and double lung transplants in Europe.
Some of the unique facilities of the Freeman Hospital are outlined below:
- The Northern Centre for Cancer Care opened in 2009 and provides the full repertoire of specialist cancer care and is the first in the UK to offer leading edge radiotherapy technology having both Primatom and Tomotherapy machines which treat patients more accurately than ever before.
- The Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre is at the forefront of research into cancer, offering patients access to early trials and potential new treatments.
- We are the only hospital in the country to provide the full range of Cardiothoracic Surgery for adults and children under one roof.
- The North East’s Regional Urology Centre is recognised as having one of the top clinical research programmes in Europe.
- A Specialist Sleep Studies Team - one of only a few in the UK - cares for patients with a wide range of sleeping disorders.
- Both the Newcastle Surgical Training Centre and the SIM Centre provide high quality training to surgeons and other healthcare professionals from all over the UK and Europe.
Please note: The Freeman Hospital does not have an A&E Department.