Every year we care for over 270,000 children, young people and their families and we lead research into children’s medicines, infection, inflammation and oncology. Later this summer we will open a purpose built hospital in the park next door to our current site.
We know that a children’s hospital is different and that our job is more than just treating an illness. At Alder Hey we are here to look after a child and their family and that includes mums, dads, brothers and sisters.
We treat everything from common illnesses to highly complex and specialist conditions from our main hospital site in Liverpool and across community sites and clinics throughout the North West.
- A Centre of Excellence for cancer, as well as spinal, heart and brain conditions
- A Department of Health Centre for Head and Face Surgery
- A Centre of Excellence for Muscular Dystrophy and the first UK Centre of Excellence for Childhood Lupus
- One of four national centres for childhood epilepsy surgery, a joint service with the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital
- A designated Children’s Major Trauma Centre
- We have Europe’s only intra-operative 3-T MRI scanner which is a pioneering technology for neurosurgery, reducing repeat operations in 90% of cases