Cheats' pizza calzone recipe
Warm wholewheat wraps hold a delicious Italian-style vegetable mixture, to give a lighter version of a folded pizza.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 10 mins
Per serving (1/4 recipe):
- 1,013kJ/ 242kcal
- 12.5g protein
- 32.5g carbohydrate, of which 11g sugars
- 7g fat, of which 1g saturates
- 5g fibre
- 0.9g salt
- 4 soft flour tortillas (wholewheat, if possible)
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 80g hard cheese, grated (reduced-fat, if possible)
Swappable or optional
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 150g closed-cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 handfuls mixed salad leaves
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried Italian mixed herbs (optional)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper (optional)
This is a great recipe for swapping ingredients. You can replace the toppings with any fresh, frozen or tinned veg. Try adding chopped tinned pineapple for a Hawaiian twist.
Preheat the grill. Arrange the peppers and mushrooms on a baking sheet and grill them for 4 to 5 minutes, turning once. Add the tomatoes and herbs, then season with black pepper. Keep warm.Information:
Add some torn-up basil leaves to the tomato mixture for extra flavour.
Put a tortilla into a dry frying pan and sprinkle a quarter of the cheese over the top. Cook over a medium heat for about 30 to 40 seconds until melted.Information:
You could use white flour tortillas, though they won't provide as much fibre as wholewheat ones.
Add a quarter of the vegetable mixture to one side of the tortilla, then fold it in half, over the filling. Cook for a few moments, then slide it onto a warm serving plate. Keep warm.
Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Serve with the salad leaves, grated carrot and celery.Information:
For a snack, just make 2 and cut them in half to serve 4 people.
Sign up for Healthy Steps emails
Want the recipe for a healthier family? Join today and over 8 weeks you'll get easy tips from nutrition experts and parents, healthy swaps and tasty recipes on a budget.