- 4 soft flour tortillas (wholewheat, if possible)
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 80g hard cheese, grated (reduced-fat, if possible)
Swappable or optional
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 150g closed-cup mushrooms, sliced
- 4 handfuls mixed salad leaves
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 3 tsp dried Italian mixed herbs (optional)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper (optional)
This is a great recipe for swapping ingredients. You can replace the toppings with any fresh, frozen or tinned veg. Try adding chopped tinned pineapple for a Hawaiian twist.
Nutritional analysis, per calzone
- 1,013kcal / 242kJ
- 12.5g protein
- 32.5g carbohydrate, of which 11g sugars
- 7g fat, of which 1g saturates
- 5g fibre
- 396mg sodium equivalent to 0.9g salt
Preheat the grill. Arrange the peppers and mushrooms on a baking sheet and grill them for 4 to 5 minutes, turning once. Add the tomatoes and herbs, then season with black pepper. Keep warm.
Put a tortilla into a dry frying pan and sprinkle a quarter of the cheese over the top. Cook over a medium heat for about 30 to 40 seconds until melted.
Add a quarter of the vegetable mixture to one side of the tortilla, then fold it in half, over the filling. Cook for a few moments, then slide it onto a warm serving plate. Keep warm.
Repeat with the remaining tortillas. Serve with the salad leaves, grated carrot and celery.