You are here:

NHS general practitioners (GPs)

Your local GP practice

GPs look after the health of people in their local community and deal with a whole range of health problems. They also provide health education, offer advice on smoking and diet, run clinics, give vaccinations and carry out simple surgical operations.

GPs usually work in practices as part of a team, which includes nurses, healthcare assistants, practice managers, receptionists and other staff. Practices also work closely with other healthcare professionals, such as health visitors, midwives, mental health services and social care services. You would normally see GPs or other healthcare professionals at their premises (surgery). Some operate from more than one building. If your GP cannot deal with a problem then you’ll usually be referred to a hospital for tests, treatment, or to see a consultant with specialist knowledge.

GP practices should make information about their services easily available to their patients. Most practices have a practice leaflet available, please ask for one. Practices also display information about their services and members of staff on NHS Choices. Use the "Services near you" facility to look up a GP practice.

Finding the right GP practice

You can register with a GP practice of your choice, as long as you live within its catchment area and it is accepting new patients. Visits to the surgery are free.

Researching your options can help you find the right GP practice. Read the section about choosing a GP practice for tips and advice, or compare local GP practices according to facilities, services, access and performance before you decide. Ask friends, relatives and others you trust for their thoughts and recommendations.

Since January 2015, some GP practices in England are accepting registrations from patients who live outside of their traditional catchment areas. This is referred to as "out of area registration". It means that you are able to register with practices in more convenient locations, such as a practice near your work or closer to your children’s schools. Find out more about patient choice of GP practices.

You can also download a copy of It's Your Practice: A patient guide to GP services (PDF, 1.92Mb), which was produced by the Royal College of General Practitioners to help you choose – and get the most from – a GP practice. It was produced before the 2013 NHS re-organisation and so refers to some organisations and procedures that no longer exist. But it still contains a great deal of helpful information about GP practices themselves.

If you are having problems registering with a nearby doctor then please contact your local NHS England Area Team.

How to register with a GP practice

When you have found a practice you like, you’ll have to formally register with it as an NHS patient by submitting a registration form to them. The GMS1 form (PDF, 107kb) is available in the practice, or you can download it from this site.

Forms may vary slightly and some practices use their own version.

When you have completed and returned the form, your local NHS England Area Team will transfer your medical records to your new practice and write to you to confirm your registration as a patient with that practice.

Parents or guardians can register a baby at a practice by completing and presenting form FP58 (PDF, 34kb), which is issued at the same time as a birth certificate.

A practice cannot refuse you unless it has reasonable grounds for doing so. These must not relate to race, gender, social class, age, religion, sexual orientation, appearance, disability or a medical condition. It must also give you reasons for its decision in writing. However, you may be refused if you are living outside the practice’s catchment area or the practice is generally not accepting new patients at the time because its list is closed. Find out if your local GP practice is currently accepting new patients.


You can register with a GP practice as a temporary resident under certain circumstances – when you are in an area for more than 24 hours but less than three months. See information below "What if I am ill while I'm away from home?".

Booking an appointment

There are no set rules for this. However, your practice should be able to offer you an appointment to see a GP or other healthcare professional quickly if necessary. You can normally see any doctor within your practice. This is quite normal, especially if you need an appointment quickly. However, if it is more convenient, you should also be able to book appointments in advance. It is important to keep your appointment, or notify the practice if you have to cancel or change it. Read the section about GP appointments for more detailed advice.

TipMany GPs now offer online services which allow you to book/cancel your appointment or order a repeat prescription. If you don't feel as confident using the internet, try the 'Learn to use GP online services' course first or read our guide on how to become a confident internet user.

TipYou can also visit an NHS walk-in centre (WIC) or minor injuries unit (MIU). These can provide treatment for minor injuries or illnesses such as cuts, bruises and rashes. However, they are not designed for treating long-term conditions or immediately life-threatening problems. You don't need to be registered and you don't need an appointment. Any member of the public can simply walk in to be seen regardless of where they are registered. Some offer pre-booked appointments.

How to complain

If you disagree with the way your GP wants to treat your health problem – or you're unhappy about the service provided by your GP practice – tell them openly. However, if you feel unable to do so or you're unhappy with the response you receive, you may wish to make a complaint.

All GP practices have a written complaints procedure. You will find this at the reception or on the practice website. As a first step, speak to the practice manager. You can also complain to the practice in writing or by email. If this doesn't resolve the problem, you can take your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.


Can I change practice?

There are several reasons why you may need to find a new practice such as:

  • you have moved into a new area
  • you have moved outside the catchment area of your current practice
  • there is a problem with your relationship with your current practice
  • your current practice has taken steps to remove you from its list

You have the right to change practice without giving a reason, but it is helpful if you notify the practice that you are leaving. You can approach another practice and apply to join its list of patients. When you are accepted by a new practice, your medical records will be transferred across.

Also read the information about "What shall I do if a GP practice has me removed from its patient list?".

What is an NHS medical card

When you register with a GP practice, you may receive an NHS medical card. This is also known as form FP4, which provides basic details such as a patient's name, address, NHS number, registered GP practice (or the name of an individual practitioner) and details of your local NHS England Area Team.

NHS medical cards are not used everywhere. Some Area Teams don't issue them at all, others do so only on request.

What do I do if I am ill while I'm away from home?

If you fall ill while away from home, or if you are not registered with a GP practice but you need to see one, you can still contact your nearest practice to ask for treatment.

You can receive emergency treatment for 14 days. After that you will have to register as a temporary resident or permanent patient.

Registration as a temporary resident allows you to be taken on to the practice’s list for up to three months. If you are registered with a practice but are away from your home area, you can register temporarily with a practice near where you are currently staying and still remain a patient of your registered practice.

Try to have the following information available when you attend your appointment for the first time:

  • details of your ongoing medical problems
  • details of medical problems you have suffered in the past
  • the name of any medicines that you are currently taking
  • details of any allergies
  • contact details of your registered or previous practice

TipYou can also visit an NHS walk-in centre (WIC) or minor injuries unit (MIU). These can provide treatment for minor injuries or illnesses such as cuts, bruises and rashes. However, they are not designed for treating long-term conditions or immediately life-threatening problems. You don't need to be registered and you don't need an appointment. Any member of the public can simply walk in to be seen regardless of where they are registered. Some offer pre-booked appointments.

Computer-completed fit note

Since July 2012, GP's can give you a computer-completed fit note, rather than a handwritten one. It will include the same information as handwritten fit notes.

You will still get handwritten fit notes from hospital doctors, GPs on home visits and GPs with older IT systems.

You should also read the information about:

Treatment abroad

It's not always easy to get treatment abroad, so plan ahead. A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to reduced-cost, sometimes free, medical treatment while you're in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland. However, you should still take out private health insurance as an EHIC will not necessarily cover all the costs of your treatment and never covers the cost of repatriation.

Find more information about how to access healthcare abroad.


The 14 comments posted are personal views. Any information they give has not been checked and may not be accurate.

User982211 said on 03 July 2015

I have always rated the NHS but the one time am in need of medical help I just don't seem to be getting the right help, for over 5 days I have been suffering with really bad pains in stomach its been that bad I've rang 999 twice, but only to be told they can't send any one as I wasn't life threatening .I have been going doctors over 5 days ringing them as iI could not move as the pain was so bad, been sent hospital twice only to be sent back to GP, with out any one trying to find out what's wrong with me, I just want to know how you can get to see a specialist as soon as possible asap and not being left in pain for weeks, just feel really let down

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

trezzacookie said on 17 April 2015

Removed from my doctors list because I am to healthy.
Today I ring up my doctors surgery as I wanted to make appointment, only to be told by the receptionist that I am longer registered with the surgery as I have moved out of the area.
Which I replied really that very strange because I have not moved and I am still living in the same house when I registered with the surgery in 1990.
The very nice lady then goes away to check her files comes back and tells me why I have been taken of the doctors surgery list wait for it because I am to healthy and I have not been to see them in over 15 years that is why I was taken of their surgery list, and now I will have to register with them all over again. I was then told until I register with the surgery again I will be unable to make any appointments, great I say trying to polite (after all it is not the nice lady fault she is trying to help) no wonder I have not made any appointment to see the doctor in 15 years because it is nearly always impossible to make appointments to see a doctor when you our ill and when do get your appointment you our either getting better or have died from your illness.
So it now looks like I will be making a trip to see a very nice man/lady in boots who will give me the help and advise that I need ( might even be cheaper now that's a thought).
Or is the real reason why I have been taken of my doctors surgery list is because they are not making enough money out of me because I am to healthy(Their words not mine)

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Abid_raza66 said on 18 October 2014

I was on family visiting visa for 6 months (visa is for 5 years).I had now applied to remain in uk as my wife and all kids are British national and permanently living here. I am out side application is with home office and my tenure has extended from more than 6 months .can I register with my local GP.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Bobbiejune said on 05 August 2014

This last weekend told by OOH's GP I had Cauda Equina and sent me to another hospital A&E dept where the senior Dr agreed,unfortunately I could not have MRI scan as not open at weekends.Was told to be on bed rest and get my GP to refer me for MRI scan,my GP did not agree and would not refer me and gave me stronger pain relief. what is my position with this,can I demand a scan? I was told if scan positive would need emergency surgery,you can imagine how stressed I was,could not sleep Sunday night worrying about the operation. Personally I think this is down to budgets,like to know what anyone else thinks.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Loranfrances said on 25 June 2014

What I don't like is the GP has the upper hand in Medical aspects of your care.. Does the patient not have any say about referral should they choose it? appears that it is about money really not care and understanding of what the patient needs.

GP'S don't always know best.. using the Best Practice line is something to hind behind I think..It all about money.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

throwawayaccount said on 15 September 2013

How do I find out which GP practice I'm registered with?

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Zubbo said on 27 August 2013


Taking a PhD isn't a 'top career'. Law, medicine and banking are examples of top careers.

There's no reason everyone in the UK should be covered for health while abroad in every country all over the world. It would open us up to paying enormous costs and benefiting scammers everywhere.

And your medical records can be obtained for £10 on application to your doctors with a Data Protection Act request.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

NJEC said on 09 July 2013

I've lived in the UK all my life, paid taxes and will remain both a UK citizen and a permanent resident. However, I am about to start a PhD abroad. I thought the GP receptionist had got it wrong when she told me I was no longer entitled to NHS care! But nope... I daresay I've contributed more than the average person my age has to this country, and my legal residency remains here.

My medical records will disappear as though they never existed! This is a totally shameful law and must change for the 21st century when migration is necessary for the top careers (note I will not -legally- be emigrating). I'm being punished for going to a top-rated university in my field? I love the NHS, but this is ludicrous. All I need are my medical records to prove I've had the correct vaccinations, but no!

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

franktalking said on 10 June 2013

My GP practice has de-registered me as I live on a boat and have no address - this at the request of the City and Hackney Health Authority. My understanding is that the law allows me to register, possibly using the practice address. I wondered if anyone knew which Act of Parliament was involved as I need to contest this. I'm asthmatic and rely on regular prescription. I also have a metal clip in my brain from previous surgery to my health needs are potentially serious. As I'm not homeless I don't feel homeless services are appropriate for me. Also this affects my entire community of boat people in London.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

riverroberts said on 07 June 2013

My GP is tryign to charge me £100 to sign a complete fit to work form, this to me seems really excessive, am I wrong in not expecting to pay this much or is this normal !! If not, is there much I can do anout it ???

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

avswan said on 17 April 2013

" If your GP cannot deal with a problem then you’ll usually be referred to a hospital for tests, treatment, or to see a consultant with specialist knowledge."
There are many more options than hospital, many primary care and community healthcare professionals who have specialist knowledge. We need to be making more use of GPs with special interests (GPwSI), specialist nurses and allied health professionals, rather than relying on expensive hospital resources.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Rob Davenport said on 16 April 2013

There's no such organisation as a PCT now

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Danny Byrne said on 04 April 2012

Not a whole load of information here considering all the links you need to go through to get here!

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Jean Audrain said on 25 January 2012

Oops !
The translation in French is hilarious.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Page last reviewed: 26/02/2015

Next review due: 26/02/2017

Medically unexplained symptoms

Advice for anyone suffering from persistent complaints that don't appear to have an obvious cause

When to see your GP

A GP tells how a large amount of his time is taken up dealing with minor ailments that can be easily treated at home

Antibiotic awareness

The European Antibiotic Awareness Day is public health initiative that encourages responsible use of antibiotics. Find out why antibiotic awareness is so important

The Tokkels - Don't ignore health problems

If you think you've got a health problem, don't ignore it. The solution might be simple.

Media last reviewed: 09/07/2015

Next review due: 09/07/2017