You are here:

Asylum support

Asylum support: financial help

If you're a carer seeking asylum in the UK and don't have enough money to live on, you can apply for cash support from the UK Border Agency.

You'll need to talk to your case owner (the person handling your asylum application) about getting cash support.

If you qualify for cash support, you'll receive a payment every week. Your case owner will arrange for you to collect your money from a local Post Office.

There are different levels of cash support depending on how old you are or whether you're single or have a family. The categories are:

  • married or in a civil partnership
  • single parent aged 18 or over
  • single person aged 18 or over
  • single person aged 16 or 17
  • single person under 16

Before October 5 2009, there was another category for single people aged 25 or over, with its own level of cash support. If your claim was made before this date and you were 25 or over at the time, you will continue to get this level of cash support. However, it's not available for claims made after October 5 2009 or for people who reached 25 after this date.

If you're a parent with young children or are pregnant, you can also get extra money to help meet your living costs.

Extra payments

If you're pregnant, you can get a one-off maternity payment of £300 to meet the costs of having a baby, as well as an extra £3 a week. You must apply for a maternity payment no earlier than a month before the baby is due and no later than two weeks after the birth.

Your maternity payment application must include one of the following:

  • an original full birth certificate
  • an original MAT B1 form (provided by a doctor or midwife as evidence of your baby's birth or expected birth)
  • some other original, formal evidence of the birth

If you're a parent with a baby under the age of 12 months, you can get an extra £5 a week.

If you're a parent with a child or children between the ages of 12 months and three years, you can get an extra £3 a week.

You can ask your case owner about these extra payments. If you don't have a case owner, you can contact the asylum support customer contact centre on 0845 602 1739 between 9am and 9pm, Monday-Friday, excluding bank holidays.


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 5 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating


Page last reviewed: 19/08/2013

Next review due: 19/08/2015

Call Carers Direct on 0300 123 1053

Confidential information and advice for carers.

Lines are open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays), 11am to 4pm at weekends. Request a free call back or an interpreted call back in one of more than 170 languages including ربي, বাংলা, 中文, Français, ગુજરાતી, Polski, Português, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ, Soomaali, Español, Türkçe and .اردو.

You can talk to an adviser live online or send a query by email.

Find out more about the Carers Direct helpline.

Services near you

Your family's money

Tips for carers on balancing the books by getting discounts, budgeting and wise use of banking