You are here:


Get assessed

Getting assessed allows you to get help and support for yourself and the person you care for from your local authority social services department. If you are providing regular and substantial care for someone, ask to be assessed by your local authority so they can agree what support you need.

The social services department of your local authority may be able to carry out a community care assessment of the needs of the person you're looking after, as well as a separate assessment of your own needs as a carer. You can find contact details of your local authority by searching the directory of local carers' services.

Community care assessment for the person you care for

Social services should carry out an assessment of the person you're looking after if it appears they may be in need of any community care services. They may need community care services because of a disability or health condition, or because they're frail due to old age.

In some cases, health services (such as the NHS) and social services will work with each other to ensure that there is a thorough assessment.

As part of the community care assessment, you will normally be consulted, unless the person you care for has any objections to your involvement.

There is guidance relating to specific groups of people (including older people, people with learning disabilities and people with long-term conditions), which sets out how carers should be involved in the assessment and planning process for the person they are looking after.

Community care assessment for yourself

If you need community care services (because you have a disability yourself, for example) you may need your own community care assessment. Being a carer will not prevent you from having an assessment.

Carers' assessments

Some carers have a right to a separate assessment of their own needs. You should be able to have a separate carer’s assessment in the following situations:

  • Where you are providing regular and substantial care to someone. Social services will also check that you are over 16 and looking after a disabled child or someone over 18.
  • When the person you are looking after is someone they may provide community care services for.
  • As part of the process of assessment when the person you are looking after is being discharged from hospital.
  • When you are looking after someone with mental health problems who is on the Care Programme Approach.
  • As a parent carer of a disabled child under 18, you have a right to a separate assessment of your own if the assessment for the child under the Children Act does not fully take account of your needs.


Sue is disabled and cares for her parents, who are in their 90s and frail. When she contacts her local social services for support, she is told that her parents can both have a community care assessment. She is also eligible for a community care assessment because of her disability and the possible need she has for her own community care services.

As her parents' carer, her views and need for support will be discussed as part of their assessment. Sue should also be offered a separate carer’s assessment to consider her own needs and role as a carer. 

If you are not providing regular and substantial care

Social services still have the power to carry out a carer’s assessment, although not a duty to do so. You should still have your views as a carer taken into account when social services carry out a community care assessment for the person you look after, as described above.

NHS continuing care for the person you look after

Even if the care they receive is funded by the NHS, you should still be able to have a separate carer’s assessment if you're providing regular and substantial care to someone.


How helpful is this page?

Average rating

Based on 70 ratings

All ratings

Add your rating


The 6 comments posted are personal views. Any information they give has not been checked and may not be accurate.

Suchhardwork said on 07 November 2014

Community care assessments for carer's are a wait of time and energy, they give you nothing.. Other than going to carer's society, which I have no time to do because of caring..
Tick box exercise wait of time and money..
Cares need a decent wage to care.. Like others I've given up my career to care.. What for carer's allowance which does not cover my bills living costs..
I pay for care for respite out of direct payments for others to care for my loved one yet I do the job 24/7 at what rate.. ?
Carer's allowance is a joke..
No wander people have breakdowns ,I myself have had one..
I have regular sleepless night, still have to care when the carer's get annual leave, we don't..
Life just sucks when your a carer.. Looking into residential care now no choice, I just can not do this anymore.. Breaks my heart..
Carer's assesment don't work don't get you help just another form to fill in..
So please don't waist my time by making it look like it does..

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Fairiewitchmagic said on 20 May 2014

Very grateful for this web page as haven't long moved thankyou

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

robotonics said on 09 November 2013

I can not believe the lies printed on this page. As a carer I can honestly say that social care assessments are just an excuse to tell you that there is no help for you.

I do not get any support. I have had so little help and support that I am now very ill myself.

I have been subjected to the inexperienced and dangerous opinions of social workers who are so badly trained they make mistakes that leave you in more trouble.

And if you do complain you are treated like an idiot.

Do not believe the nhs.

You are on your own and should act accordingly!

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

DenisenPaul said on 23 August 2010

Advice please...
Our Daughter is 7weeks old and is under Cardiology for 2xsmallVSD's, i was informed today that we should claim DLA for our Daughter, but i am unsure if she qualifiys for this, would you beable to answer if this is classed as a Disability.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Rob Finch said on 08 February 2010

Dear K Occardi,

For help with this matter, please call us on 0808 802 0202 (8am - 9pm Monday to Friday or 11am - 4pm, weekends). Or you can email us at If needs be we can call you back.

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

k occardi said on 05 February 2010

I am slightly learning diabled and look after my mum who has had aTIA but pepole say I cant she has put a written directive in place to protect us both as she is my carer as well

Report this content as offensive or unsuitable

Page last reviewed: 19/08/2013

Next review due: 19/08/2015

Call Carers Direct on 0300 123 1053

Confidential information and advice for carers.

Lines are open 9am to 8pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays), 11am to 4pm at weekends. Request a free call back or an interpreted call back in one of more than 170 languages including ربي, বাংলা, 中文, Français, ગુજરાતી, Polski, Português, ਪੰਜਾਬੀ, Soomaali, Español, Türkçe and .اردو.

You can talk to an adviser live online or send a query by email.

Find out more about the Carers Direct helpline.

Services near you

Your NHS Health Check

Millions of people have already had their free "midlife MOT". Find out why this health check-up is so important

A circle for older people

How older Londoners are getting a wellbeing boost from low-cost practical help at home that's promoting better independence

Andy Howland, cares for wife Heather who had a brain haemorrhage

Coming to terms with personality change

Read how Andy cares for his wife Heather, whose personality changed dramatically after she had a brain haemorrhage

Looking for local carers' services?

Find carers' help on your doorstep using our directory of local carers' services

New wheels gave Payton his independence

Find out how children's charity Whizz Kidz is working with the NHS to transform the local wheelchair service