Healthcare in Poland

Each country's health system is different and might not include all the things you would expect to get free of charge from the NHS. This means you may have to make a patient contribution to the cost of your care.

Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access public healthcare provided in Poland at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment until you return to the UK. It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, providing the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth.

If you are travelling for the express purpose of obtaining medical treatment, please read our section about seeking medical treatment in Europe.

Finding help in an emergency

In case you find yourself in an emergency during your stay in Poland, dial 112. Emergency services are free of charge.

Other important numbers to note down are:

  • 999 – ambulance services
  • 998 – fire brigade
  • 997 – police
  • 601 100 300 – mountain rescue
  • 601 100 100 – water rescue

Health services and costs

Your EHIC does not cover private treatment. Make sure you are treated by a healthcare provider that has a contract with the Polish National Health Fund (NFZ).

You should be particularly careful if healthcare arrangements are made by a hotel or travel representative. Any costs incurred for private healthcare are non-refundable.

Health providers who are working under the state healthcare scheme are marked with the NFZ logo. Contact NFZ for more advice before you travel. Call 0048 22 572 62 68 from the UK. The NFZ website offers some information in English.


Doctors surgeries are open from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. After 6pm on workdays, weekends and on holidays, a 24 hour-medical service is provided by various health units contracted by the NFZ.


Dentists often offer both NFZ and private treatment. NFZ services therefore might not be available every day of the week, and you should check with the surgery in advance. A list of free services and materials is also available at dentist surgeries. Non-standard services and materials are charged.

Hospital treatment

Just like in the UK, you'll need to be referred for any hospital treatment by a doctor. Make sure you are referred to a public hospital, as only these provide treatment free of charge. Even in a public hospital, ensure you have a valid EHIC and double-check you are not treated as a private patient.

Operations, diagnostic tests and medicines are provided free of charge during your hospital stay.


A prescription should be issued by a doctor who practices within the NFZ. Take your prescription and your EHIC to the pharmacist. Medicines are charged at:

  • a lump-sum price of 3,20 zł – for basic medicines
  • 30% or 50% of the price of a medicine – for supplementary medicines
  • the full price in case of medicines – which are not included in the reimbursed drugs list

Making healthcare arrangements in advance

Although your EHIC covers the provision of oxygen, renal dialysis and routine medical care, you'll have to arrange and pre-book medical treatment before you travel. You should always consult your GP or hospital before travelling. You should also ensure you are not booked with a private healthcare provider, as these are not covered by the EHIC.

Oxygen therapy

Ensure your EHIC is valid before you travel. In most cases, you will have to use the authorised oxygen company for the country you are travelling to. You will also have to make your own arrangements, including arranging for permission from your hotel to deliver and install the equipment. There may also be additional costs that the EHIC will not cover.

Your home oxygen supplier is not required to provide a service outside the UK; however, most suppliers can advise you on what to do. Your oxygen treatment clinic will organise your home oxygen supply from one of these suppliers:

Air Liquide: call them on:

  • 0808 143 9991 for London
  • 0808 143 9992 for North West
  • 0808 143 9993 for East Midlands
  • 0808 143 9999 for South West

Baywater Healthcare: covers Yorkshire and Humberside, West Midlands and Wales. Call them on 0800 373 580. For more information, visit the Baywater Healthcare website.

BOC: covers the East and North East of England. Call them on 0800 136 603.

Dolby Vivisol: covers the South of England. Call them on 0500 823 773.

The British Lung Foundation (BLF) may have additional oxygen contacts for the country you are travelling to. Their website offers general advice about travelling abroad with a lung condition.

Make sure you allow plenty of time to make all your arrangements before you travel.


You will need to speak to the coordinator in your UK Dialysis Unit, who will contact the dialysis unit in Poland nearest to where you will be staying. You can look up UK renal units on the Renal Association website.

Ensure you make arrangements according to your UK schedule. There may also be different guidance, depending on the type of dialysis you receive. Make sure you speak to your doctor before you travel. The National Kidney Federation website offers general advice about travelling with a kidney disease, as well as specific guidance for haemodialysis patients, peritoneal dialysis patients and guidelines for transplant patients.

The NHS website has advice on travelling with various conditions. These include:

Living in Poland

Everyone who is eligible for health insurance in Poland is registered with the Polish Health Insurance Fund (NFZ). This is the only organisation in Poland that deals with compulsory health insurance. Once you are registered with the relevant authorities, you are entitled to necessary medical treatment and you will have to pay the same patient contributions as a permanent resident of Poland.

For more detail information about health insurance and medical care in Poland visit Migrant, which is the official portal for migrants in Poland.

Working in Poland

If you are a worker posted by a UK company to Poland, you may be entitled to health cover funded by the UK in the country you are posted to. Contact HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for more details:

National Insurance Contributions and Employer Office
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3506
  • Outside UK: +44 191 203 7010
  • Opening times: 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday - closed weekends and bank holidays

For more information see the moving abroad section.


If you are living in Poland and you receive an exportable UK Pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You will need to apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 form.

For exportable UK pensions and contribution-based Employment Support Allowance, you can apply for your form via the International Pension Centre in the Department for Work and Pensions on 0191 218 7777.

You may need to liaise with a different team, depending on the exportable benefit. Further information is available under claiming benefits if you live, move or travel abroad on the GOV.UK website. Please note that different exportable benefits can have different rules in terms of healthcare cover.

Once issued, register the S1 form with the relevant authority in Poland. Often you need to do this before you can register for healthcare or obtain a medical card.

Once you have registered your S1 in Poland, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access state-funded necessary medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) provides useful information about living in Poland.

Studying in Poland

If you are coming to study or are currently studying in Poland as part of a UK-recognised course, you may be entitled to healthcare paid for by the UK government. You might also want to read our articles on:

Page last reviewed: 02/09/2016
Next review due: 02/09/2019